Domestic Package Insurance

Our Domestic package policy covers a private dwelling house or private flat and its contents, owners and tenants’ legal liability and domestic servants.

It provides cover for the following;


Section A-Buildings

  • Under this section we cover loss of or damage to a private dwelling house or a private flat including domestic outbuildings, landlord’s fixtures and fittings, walls, gates and fences on the same premises caused by:
  • Fire and natural causes such as earthquakes, storms and tempests, lightning, and floods;
  • Human causes such as riots and strikes, malicious damage, and theft;
  • Chemical related, that is exposure e.g of domestic gas cylinders and
  • Miscellaneous causes, including bursting and overflowing of water tanks, apparatus, pipes, impact by road vehicles and animals not belonging to or under control of the insured or their agents.


Section B-Contents

Under this section we cover loss of or damage to furniture, household goods and personal effects of every description the property of the insured or any member of his family normally residing with him and fixtures and fittings, which the insured's owns or for which he is legally responsible not being landlord’s fixtures and fittings.

Section C-All risks

  • Under this section we cover loss of or damage to property (portable items such as cameras, radios, jewellery, and sports kits) insured by any cause/peril not specifically excluded in the policy.
  • This is a very wide cover and insures will often want the items listed with a value indicated for each.
  • Whenever wherever you are we shall cover your All risks Items worldwide.


Section D-Workmen compensation

  • Under this section we shall cover your employees for injuries or death or disease that arises out and in the course of employment.
  • We shall cover your domestic servants like house-help, watchman, ground men, gardeners and drivers.


Section E-Owners’ liability

  • Under this section we shall pay liabilities at law or compensate you in respect of;
  • Accidental bodily injury (including illness) to any person other than a member of your family or household or a person in his service at the time of the occurrence giving rise to the injury.
  • Accidental loss or damage to property Accidental loss or damage to property belonging to third parties and not those in your custody or of a member or your family or household or a person in your service.


Section F-Personal/occupier’s liability

  • Under this section we shall compensate you against liability at law in respect of:
  • Accidental bodily injury (including illness) to any person other than a member of your family or household or a person in your service at the time of the occurrence giving rise to the injury.
  • Accidental loss or damage to property belonging to third parties and not those in your custody as the insured or of a member or your family or household or a person in his service.



  • Duly completed and signed proposal form
  • Company certificate of registration
  • PIN certificate for the company
  • List, names and location of the items insured
  • Schedule of the contents and their values to be insured.
  • Serial numbers of the items insured.
  • For buildings the Location of the structure i.e Land Reference Number(LRNO)


Target Group

Our policy is ideal for:

  • Non-financed Individual home owners.
  • Financed/Mortgage customers.
  • Individuals leaving in rented premises to cover their contents of every description.
  • Individual owners of private flats.



What is home insurance? 

Home insurance cover comes in two parts – buildings insurance and contents insurance. You can choose either one or both of these based on your needs.

Buildings cover insures your bricks and mortar for events like fire and weather damage, while contents cover could protect your belongings against problems like theft, damage and loss.

Buying a combined policy from the same insurer can often be cheaper than getting two separate policies. 

Is it essential to have home insurance? 

If you’re a homeowner, most mortgage lenders insist you have buildings cover in place to protect their investment.

You don’t usually need buildings cover if you’re renting, but you may want contents insurance to help cover the cost of replacing your things if you suffer a loss.

Why would I need to take out a joint home insurance policy? 

Adding a joint policyholder allows the other person to make a claim, so it’s not only you who can deal with communications with your insurer.Under some circumstances it can also lower your premium.

What is accidental damage cover and do I need it? 

Most insurers define accidental damage as an unintentional one-off incident that harms your property or its contents. Most standard policies cover key items like home entertainment, but there may be varying exclusions depending on your insurer. Your need depends on your circumstances – many accidental damage claims come from people with young children.

It’s also important to know what’s covered under your standard policy. Checking the small print is the best way to make sure you’ve got adequate cover.

Do I have to get my buildings insurance through my mortgage provider? 

Yes - Most mortgage lenders negotiate competitive terms with specific underwriters for their mortgage schemes and thus make it a mandatory requirement of your mortgage contract to insure through the list provided.

What should I include in my contents cover? 

As a rule of thumb, anything you’d take with you if you moved house should be included on your contents policy – including items like curtains and carpets. It’s worth taking the time to go around your house from room to room and putting a reasonable value on everything.

It’s easy to underestimate the value of your contents, but it’s important to make sure you’re not under-insured. 

Should I increase my excess to make my policy cheaper? 

The golden rule of voluntary excess is to make sure you know what you can afford to pay if you have to make a claim.The more you agree to pay towards a claim, the less cost there would be for your insurer, so they may reduce your premium accordingly.

But beware - setting an unreasonably high voluntary excess may save you a few shillings on your premium in the short term, but if ever you need to make a claim, you could find yourself with a large bill to settle before your insurer will pay out.

If I don't let my insurer know about changes could this affect my cover? 

Potentially, yes.

For example, if you’ve told your buildings insurer that your roof is in good repair, they will base your premium on the known risk of storm damage happening to the average roof.

But if, in fact, your guttering is already falling off, or your tiles are coming loose, then there’s a greater than average risk of damage happening during a storm – something your insurer hasn’t covered against on your original premium.

As the full risks weren’t disclosed, you’re effectively insuring higher risks at a cheaper price, which could invalidate your policy and leave you without a pay out in the event of a claim.

Can I cover myself against damage by pets? 

Most home insurance policies don’t cover damage caused by pets as standard. 

Does home insurance apply to me if I rent? 

As the owner, your landlord will be responsible for the maintenance of the building, so it’s down to them to ensure their property is protected with buildings insurance.

But you’re responsible for any contents inside that you own. If anything were to happen to your possessions, you would liable yourself for the cost of replacing them.

What if my situation changes, such as building an extension or buying expensive furniture? 

You need to inform your insurer of any changes to your building and/or your contents which may impact on the cover you have.The key point to remember is that your contract with your insurer is based on mutual disclosure of information – they charge you a “fair” premium, based on the risks you’ve made them aware of. If these risks change, so too does the value of a “fair” premium.

If in doubt, ask your insurer. The time taken for a quick phone call could save any problems that arise in the event of a claim.

What if I need a quote for an unoccupied property? 

If the property you’re quoting for is empty, then on the first page of the quotation process (‘About You’) you’ll need to enter your main home address.

On the second page (‘The Property’) you’ll then need to confirm that the property you’re insuring is not your home address. You can then select that the property is left unattended for more than 60 days at a time.

Be aware though that an unoccupied home often falls outside the underwriting criteria of our home insurance panel, so you’re likely to receive fewer quotes than usual.

How do I get a quote for a property I let? 

If you’d like a quote for a property you own but rent out to tenants, try our landlord's insurance page.

Why did my price increase when I went to the insurance provider’s site? 

Insurance providers may offer you additional services, such as political violence and terrorism cover or home emergency cover. If you choose to add any of these to your policy, the price may increase. Your price can also increase if you change any of your details, such as your occupation or your excess amount. It’s therefore important that you check your policy details carefully to make sure it’s exactly as you entered it on.